this group consists mainly of
JUSTIN LIM 2i3 [leader]








[Football.net - Prototype 1]
1st Picture: Back view of Football.net
2nd Picture: Hinges at each end of the poles
3rd Picture: Hinges at top center of each frame
4th Picture: Diameter of PVC tubes measuring approx 1cm
5th Picture: Front view of Football.net
6th - 9th Pictures: Step by step demonstration of transforming goalpost to ball carrier, or one that enable portability
BEFORE SEMI FINALS JUDGING:
Justin:
Once again our group cooperated very well, having equal tasks to complete. We showed great team spirit when faced with challenges but we never gave up,
persevering throughout the process of making the prototype. I would really like to thank Xu Yi for putting in so much effort to complete the prototype,
and also thank Adrian for thinking of alternatives to tie the net to the goalposts and helping out with the demonstrations. It was a really pleasant
experience to work with such hardworking and innovative group members, and I sincerely apologise for being unable to attend the actual presentation tomorrow
due to a bout of fever and sore throat. However I have confidence that Xu Yi and Adrian will do just as well, or even better, as they have real qualities as a group.
We have placed much effort into the Football.net, and I wish Xu Yi and Adrian the best of luck for tomorrow. Good Luck!
Last updated: 06.07.10
Xu Yi:
After the prelims, we made great use of our holidays to do up our prototype. With the generous help of our IVP teachers, who planned our
visit to the NTU for us to discuss our projects with the experts there like Mr David Tan the mechanic and Associate Professor David Butler,
we gained advice on how to carry on with our projects. We decided to source the materials ourselves this time round, and I went to Loyang
to buy the PVC tubes to construct our prototype. I selected PVC instead of the intended metal, as PVC was easier to work with, and since
this was our first time doing this, the easier to handle materials would be better. We went to NTU to construct our product, but we encountered
a problem with the hinges. There was nothing productive we could make out of the situation, so we decided to pack up and brainstorm again.
I went to source for solutions, and within a week, and with Justin providing the cost of the net and Adrian letting us take videos of the
product in his house, I would say that our project was so far a success. Another acknowledgement goes to the hardware store owner in Loyang
from whom I bought the PVC tubes, as he graciously gave me a special student's discount seeing that I bought such a quantity to do this project.
Last updated: 29.06.10
Adrian:
I feel that even though we had gone through quite a hard and troublesome experience at the start of this year, we still managed quite well.
I would like to thank my mentor for the contributions she had made to our project. We were allowed to go to NTU, where the technicians there
helped us with the drilling of nails and the hinges in the prototype. I feel that we were quite successful in making our first prototype as
we had met with the two basic needs, the goalpost and the ball carrier. However, there can definitely still be more improvements that we can
make to our prototype and I am quite confident of getting through the semi-finals.
Last updated: 29.06.10
BEFORE PRELIMINARY JUDGING:
Justin:
We had an extremely bad start to this year's 2010 Projects Day Competition. Initially the three of us submitted our IvP application forms
but due to some technical errors all of us did not enter the Innovations Programme. Hence without the professional mentors, external and
internal alike, we joined two other friends to form a group of five Service Learning project. However, two days before deadline of project
registration the group leader walked out on us and as non of us had service learning experience or insights on the category, we disbanded.
Finally Xu Yi, Adrian and I decided to do Inventions as I was the leader of a group which got High Distinction last year and we felt this was
the easiest and most appropriate option. However, after our registration was rejected we sought the relevant authorities and thanks to Mdm Tham
Siang Wah, our current group mentor, the second registration was accepted by Mr Steven Su. Immediately afterwards we had many group meetings,
with and without the mentor, and came up with proper sketches and labels of two main ideas: The Nike Sling and Football.net. However, from the
professional advice of Mdm Tham we decided the Football.net idea was more suitable and appealed greater to the public. It solved more problems
whereas the Nike Sling was more of a trendy accessory and fashion design, which was unsuitable for Category 3. We were extremly lucky to come under
the care and mentoring of Mdm Tham. Now we aim to complete the Powerpoint slides and the sketches of the final idea before preliminary judging in order
to practice and rehearse our presentation skills. I am happy to see Xu Yi coming up with interesting and wonderful ideas and alternatives and Adrian doing
important research work. Together we have worked extremely well as a team, so let's try to keep up the good work and possibly aim for the High Distinction.
Last Updated: 23.03.10
Xu Yi:
We had a rough start to the Projects Day COmpetition this year. Our previous project was a Service Learning Project, but we had to disband because our Group Leader
had another project, and we had to disband because he did not want to continue with the SL project. The group members were stunned by the sudden decision, and we were
really anxious as the registration deadline was drawing near, and we were not registered yet, and had no mentor. But thanks to our Assistant Director Dr Tan Kok Kim, IVP
Head Miss Vivien Sim, and Mdm Tham who was willing to accept us as a group, Adrian, Justin and I managed to become a group. We immediately started brainstorming ideas, knowing
that we have little time. In the end, we decided on the Football.net. Together, our group had teamwork and cohesiveness, thus enabling us to continue our work smoothly and efficiently.
We are working hard for our Prelims round, and hopefully, our work will pay off.
Last updated:23.03.10
Adrian:
I feel that we faced several problems after we started working on this year's project's day competition. Our original group had to disband
because of several problem's our original leader faced. After that the three of us decided to start a new group. We wanted to join IVP but
could not because it was too late. I sincerely thank Mdm Tham for accepting us and mentoring us even though it was after the registration deadline.
I am also grateful to her for inviting us to IvP sessions. Despite some of the setbacks, I still find that our group had really
pulled through. So I feel that we should appreciate what Mdm Tham had done for us. I am glad that I have such committed and creative group members,
Justin being responsible as a group leader and Xuyi thinking innovative ideas. We should give in all our best and aim for the highest.
Last updated: 24.03.10
#04.07.10
*Met up for final rehearsal of Powerpoint slides
#01.07.10
*Met up for rehearsal of presentation
#26.06.2010
*Xu Yi drilled holes in the pipes and fixed up a workable structure of the prototype
*Justin bought a badminton net which we will use to make the net of the prototype
#25.6.2010
*Xu Yi went to IVP Young Innovators Seminar at NUS with IVP students
#15.6.2010
*Adrian and Xu Yi went to NTU with Mr Chia Kean to make prototype
*We were introduced to machines and tools to help in our work
*All went as planned with Mr David Tan until we encountered a problem with the hinging of the straight pipes
*We decided to go back and source for alternatives to solve the hinge problem
#12.6.2010
*Xu Yi went to a hardware store in Loyang to source for PVC pipes
*We decided to use round PVC pipes instead of the square tubes available at NTU
*Bought metal hinges and pipe connectors
#06.04.2010
*Submitted Progress Report to mentor
*Final discussions on ppt slides
*Checked and improved content in inventors' log and powerpoint slides
*Uploaded all drawings and sketches online
#04.6.2010
*Justin and Xu Yi visited NTU Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering with IVP teachers
*Met Associate Prof. David Butler and Mr David Tan for advice
*Decided on using existing materials there
#01.04.2010
*Drew out new sketches of all brainstormed ideas (Holey Tray, The Nike Sling, Football.net [Version 1] [Version 2] [Version 3])
*Outlined and labelled with markers clearly
#25.03.10
*Updated Adrian on mentor's comments
*Discussed Powerpoint Slides and edited format (Updated)
#24.03.2010
*FIRST IvP SESSION: Adrian left early
*Sketches of steps to transform Football.net completed
*Trial presentation
*Got advice from external mentors and Mdm Tham regarding sturdiness and thickness of poles
#23.03.2010
*FIRST PROPER GROUP MEETING: updated Adrian
*Innovated and improved on ideas and sketches on Football.net
*Created brief structure and outline of Preliminary Powerpoint Slides
*Updated Problem Statements and Target Audience
#22.03.2010
*FIRST SESSION WITH MENTOR: Adrian at softball competition
*Consulted Mdm Tham's advice on The Nike Sling and Football.Net
*Approached Mr Steven Su to clarify registration rejection matters
*Rejected The Nike Sling and further brainstormed on Football.Net using sketches